Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Entry for September 11, 2007



Well, it's now four countries.  I bid farewell to London this morning!  Woke up at 3:00 A.M., walked through the deserted streets, caught a bus, then headed to another bus, then headed to the airport.

After a 2 1/2 hour flight (where I was given "first-class" and a lovely view of Africa...true story!), my plane arrived into Faro, Portugal, where I am currently staying!

And let me tell you where I am staying!  Wow!  I have my own little cabin!  I am listening to rain fall all around me (rain is rare here!), I am hearing beautiful peals of thunder, and I am marveling at the wonderful display of lightning.  Simply beautiful!

And it is even more beautiful when enjoyed after spending six hours on the beach!!!  haha...I walked straight from the airport to the beach...maybe 1-2 miles.  And I swam in the ocean, sipped some peach tea, and just basked in the sun.  This is my type of day!

I met the family who I am staying with at the beach...well, the dad first.  We went grocery shopping, then came home and had one of the best meals ever.  Grilled chicken (the whole chicken!), salad, goat's cheese with honey, bread, baked potatoes, and white wine.  I am more than full!  So when we came home, I met the rest of the fam...

There are two lil' ones...seven and six years old.  Aaron and Zoe.  And the best part?!  The native tongue of the family is German, so that is spoken frequently.  But the kids grew up learning Portuguese, so they speak that and German.  Mom and Dad both know English, so they speak that to me.  The kids?  Well, Aaron knows some English...he can understand more than he can speak.  Zoe?  haha...not so much.  So supper was a whole lot of German, some Portuguese, Dad speaking English to me, Mom sometimes, Zoe just smiling and dancing, Aaron doing magic tricks translated through Dad, me doing magic tricks back to Aaron translated through Dad, and Zoe then singing American songs and occasionally speaking to me in Portuguese.  Or German.  It was lovely!

But the kids are great.  The language barrier is not so much a barrier for them.  So when they want to show me something, they grab my hand and pull me!  Or they say, "Andy!"  But it sounds more like..."An Dee!" in a beautiful accent!  They are so neat!  Aaron showed me those magic tricks tonight, and Zoe did a lil' dancing.  She is still very shy, but she is warming up to me!

Well, it is goin' on midnight, I woke up at 3:00 A.M., and despite a few naps on the beach, those are bad combinations.  I'm headin' to a village to go to Dad's work tomorrow.  From there, we'll go see Faro and some of Portugal.

And the lightning and thunder are still at it.

I love this place.

2007-09-11 22:50:19 GMT

No comments:

Post a Comment