Sunday, November 22, 2009

Blaaaaah--November 21, 2009

Woke up at the typical 7:30 alarm.  Today was almost an exact repeat of yesterday...

I spent nearly the ENTIRE day down at the hangars helping and watching the 100-hour work...only this time it was on Jeff's airplane.  We all drove to the airport and hung out in the hangar as Danny performed his work...

Around noon or so, I made my way over to the FBO.  Unbeknownst to me, I ended up falling asleep.  I was woke up only to a phone call from Danny...I was just absolutely wiped out...this cold was wreaking havoc on my energy.  But I woke up right at 1:00, and I felt sooooooo much better.  The tiny little power nap ended up restoring me...even after 11 hours of sleep the night before!!!

We went out to eat at a Chinese buffet for lunch...I ate probably (insert the word "definitely") more than I should have, but it was pretty good.  I hadn't had Chinese food in months.  We went back to the airport for more hangar time.  We ended up playing a game with empty oil bottles (I'm tellin' ya, we WERE pretty bored!!!).  The game was more or less horseshoes but with oil bottles and a trashcan...Matt won.

I meandered on down to one of the hangars that I had visited the week before...I ended up talking with Charlie for about 20 minutes.  He's a lawyer I met last week...and his son is working on an old 1946 Taylorcraft.  Anyway, Charlie needed some help unloading a truck engine into his hangar, so I was more than happy to oblige.  Well, inside another hangar, I found a couple of his toys...an old Cessna 195 and a BMW Isetta 300 (the car that Steve Urkel has on Family Matters!).  I instantly fell in love with the Cessna 195...it is polished aluminum, shiny, and gorgeous...for whatever reason, the engineers sure had a way with aesthetics back then.  It's the same frustration I have with cars nowadays...I LOVE old 1950's pick-ups...the curves, the side windows, the beauty!  Today's are boxy...simple...often boring.   Anyway, the Cessna 195 instantly leaped to my favorite aircraft in a flash.  I even spent the night looking at some for sale...most are in the $115,000 price range...although I found an unpainted one for $75,000.  Hmmmmm....

We went out to Applebee's for supper...and I ordered a steak.  Man, that was sure good.  It was pretty late when we went there...around 8:15 as we didn't get back from the airport until 7-somethin'...

I ended up goin' to bed around 11:00...it looks like we'll have some flying time tomorrow!!!  Forecast is for clear skies at 10 A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment