Saturday, January 9, 2010

Almost Time--January 8, 2010

The only thing that stays the same is that everything changes.

Woke up at 7:30 A.M.  Forced myself to start moving.  I knew it would be too easy to stay in bed.  Last night was just weird for me.  I woke up numerous times...and I never do that.  I remember waking up and shutting the blinds all the way...I remember waking up and hearing someone grinding their teeth...I just never wake up at night.  Not sure why last night was rough.

Headed out to the airport.  It is still unbelievably cold.  Around 15 degrees.  I hate it.

I quickly hopped into my airplane and started it up.  My plans were just northwest of Baton Rouge.  Matt and I only had 10 1/2 plans left...we wanted to get an early start so that we could knock it out in two days.  And sure enough, I ended up getting to my first line a whole 20 minutes EARLY!!!  That never happens!  Of course, it helps that I was doing 130 knots across the ground, but still.  So I circled around until the window opened.

And then it was more of the same.  But it was so cold.  It was 16 degrees on the way over, but thankfully, I had a temperature inversion over my plans, so it bumped up to 24 degrees.  It's not much, but the 16 was just painful.  My fingers were tingling even through my gloves.  And without an adequate jacket, it's just too much.  I reached in the back and pulled out the fleece blanket given to me from the Cleburne Airport.  Oh how that proved to be a blessing!!!  I wore it the rest of the day.

It was a pretty routine day.  Flying-wise.  I had clouds moving in quickly from the north.  And we did have a strong northern wind.  On my south-bound turns, I would hit 142 knots.  And I had a consistent 16-degree crab ALL day long.  I landed at Baton Rouge for fuel around 1:00.  That proved to be a frustrating 30 minutes.

So I had called a hotel back in Titusville, Florida, about a charge on my credit card.  I had purchased 3 nights, but we finished our project in just 2.  I asked if it would be possible to get out of my third night, and they said no problem.  I was given a receipt with the adjustment on my credit card, and all was done.  Or so I thought.  Well, I watch my credit card statement online, and sure enough, the charge was taken away.  But it was ALSO put back on.  For the exact amount.  Hmm.  So I called and talked to the manager this morning.  She said she would investigate it and get back to me.  Well, she called back at 10:30 this morning and left me a message.  In essence..."Our employee was wrong in her credit back to you, your purchase was non-refundable, and just so you know, we fired that employee."  I couldn't believe it.  She actually mentioned twice in the voicemail that she had fired the employee...thinking I would take solace in that.

I quickly called her back and let her know that I thought she should reconsider her decision.  I was appalled.  The manager said this wasn't the only reason for the decision, but I just felt sick!!!  I was looking into a $40 charge, and now here a young woman was out of a job.  I wish I had never called.  I really think the money is rightfully mine, but I would give it up so that she could keep her job.  I was sick over the matter!!!  She said she couldn't do anything...so I called the corporate office.  We'll see what happens with that.  <sigh>

Went back out and flew about another hour.  I don't know what it was, but I was just having a hard time focusing that last hour.  And I hate it.  I get that sometimes...and I can never pinpoint why I feel how I feel.  Sometimes I think it's the high winds, sometimes I think it's the unfocusable overcast and horizon, and sometimes I think it's a lack of food.  But I had food this time!!!!  So who knew.  But I just didn't have clarity of thought...and I never like flying like that.  I hate it.

Matt and I ended up finishing quite a bit of our plans.  We only have four left.  Should finish tomorrow.

I flew the 45 minutes back to Alexandria.

Matt and I went out to Applebee's tonight...then I began all the logistics for tomorrow.  I'm heading back up to Texarkana...it looks like we're doing the EXACT same project again.  It's called "Take 2."  Hmm.  Who knows.  But I reserved a rental car and a week's worth of hotel.

And I spent the rest of the night catching up on receipts.  And billing people for using my money!!!  A productive night.

Oh, and I received my coat today.  Plus a couple of Christmas gifts.  So I was excited about that.  I am actually really, really excited about the coat.  It's just bitterly cold here.  Very unpleasant.  I also have another book to read.  Mom and Dad bought me Sullenberger's biography...I think that will be a quick read...excited about that.

Went to bed at 11:45.

I hope I sleep all the way through.

No comments:

Post a Comment