Thursday, August 12, 2010

One Little Square-Inch At a Time--August 11, 2010

Woke up at 8:00 A.M.  Grabbed a bowl of cereal, then headed outside.  Didn't even get ready for anything else!  I mowed the front yard...which had areas of 8-inch tall grass!  It needed it badly.  I then became ambitious and pulled out the power washer and started on my deck.

Frankly, I was nothing short of shocked to see just how well it made my wood go from old and brown to fairly new-looking!!!  It was seriously making it look sharp!  I spent a couple of hours on it, but I really wasn't getting anywhere.  I was probably only 1/4 of the way done.  Knowing that I may have an 8-hour job in front of me, I opted to NOT pursue that any further!!!  I took a break, came in, showered, and brushed my teeth.  It was about 10:45.


It was warming up quickly, but I went ahead and tried out one of the gallons of stain from my purchase a week or so ago.  Hmm.  It wasn't the brown I had anticipated.  It was more clear!  I tried it on an old piece of wood and a power-washed piece.  The difference was night and day.  I knew right then and there that I would have to complete what I started.  I had numerous hours of power-washing ahead of me.  Ruh roh.

I headed to McDonald's for lunch...a couple of hamburgers and a sweet tea with a nice refill!  Then I came back and continued the job.  Another couple of hours.  I'll be honest, the deck WAS starting to look nice!  It's really making the wood look like new!  But I have to literally cover EVERY square-inch with that wand, and that is just no easy task!  I pressed on.



I took a break in the mid-afternoon...when it was 108 degrees.  I took too long of a break, though, and really didn't want to go back out!  But I forced myself to do it.  And I added another couple of hours in the early evening.  Mom and Dad came over, and I pulled the ol' Tom Sawyer move on them...each of them did a few boards.  But I was eager to call it a day...I still have a few hours left to do before I can stain it.



Talked with Mom and Dad for a bit...enjoyed a nice McDonald's frap around 8:30.  They headed home, and I stayed inside the rest of the night.  Talked to Whit for a short bit...she was out line-dancin' with her girls.

Ended up going to bed around midnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment