Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A Little of This, A Little of That--November 23, 2009


Woke up at 7:30.  And guess what?!  FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGG!!!!  Surprise, surprise.  No, not really, I guess...this morning fog is beginning to become rather normal!  It was even thicker than yesterday...visibility was terrible!

I was fueled up at my hangar but couldn't go anywhere...so I walked over to the FBO.  I ended up hanging out there for a bit as I waited for the fog to lift.  You couldn't even see the edge of the airport.  Crazy.  Miss Sarah and Gayla were makin' us lunch (again!).  I guess they had made us some soup yesterday, but I missed it...old guys ate my share!  Oh well...I was promised some today!  This airport is crazy...the people are sooooo nice, it's almost unbelievable.

Around 10:40 the fog was lifting...quickly.  I walked over to my plane and hopped in.  It was clearin' up fast.  By the time I made it to the runway, the fog was now some scattered clouds.  On my flight over to my flight plan, I flew over some low clouds still hanging around...but on my flight plan it was clear.  Good!

I was able to fly for a while...and finish a couple of flight plans.  But the clouds were moving in from the south!!!  The winds were kickin' from the south, and the clouds were riding along rather nicely.  I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to finish one of my plans, as the clouds were soooo close to overtaking me from the south.  But I finished with the clouds just three miles away.  I moved north for another plan...barely able to finish this one, as the clouds were creepin' in from the west!

All in all, I only flew 3.2 hours...but was able to finish up two flight plans.  I had to end the window a half hour early due to the clouds, so I headed back to Cleburne.  On the way back, I saw 14 helicopters on the ramp at Midway Regional!  I wonder what was going on there!  I came back to land and prepared for a landing on Runway 15.  I was going to enter a left downwind...so I called my intentions.  Some old guy came back over the radio telling me it was "right traffic."  Hmm.  I wasn't too interested on that.  I didn't care if everyone else was landing right traffic, I was going to enter it the "normal" way.  But I decided to check my sectional anyway...and what do ya know?!  Cleburne has right traffic for Runway 15!  I had been landing the "wrong" way for the past three weeks!!!  Who knew?!  I flew over the field and entered a right downwind.  Oops!!!

I taxied to the FBO and walked in eager for my soup!  And Miss Gayla had some set aside for me!  Awesome!  It was chicken tortilla soup, and it was DEE-LICIOUS!!!  I had two bowls!  I also had two of her cookies!  This service is simply amazing.  It has been a GREAT way to start out the season...but I am totally pampered!

I put my airplane away, then headed to the hangar where Danny was still doing maintenance on two airplanes.  We stayed for a little over an hour...and I was ready to be done with that!  Too much standing/sitting around in too few days!!!  But my airplane was part of it, so I lended a hand.  My fuel sender? was having issues, so we had to replace that.  We had to drain my right fuel tank, pull it out, put a new one in, and then replace the gas.  Not too difficult, just time-consuming.

From there, we headed back to the hotel, then out to eat.  We went to Cotton Patch Cafe...a nice little restaurant.  We came back...but I decided to go out again.  I ended up at a park with some pretty impressive Christmas lights...I think three-blocks' worth.  I guess the inmates do this every year.  Pretty neat.

Came back to the hotel at 11:30.  Supposed to be a little storm tonight...but tomorrow is supposed to be perfect.  Forecast is for nothin' but blue skies.

Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment