Monday, April 26, 2010

Finally, A Bit of Clarity--April 25, 2010

Woke up at 8:45 but not by choice.  I actually woke up earlier to my boss's phone again <sigh>, but I heard him go down to breakfast, so I went back under again.  But he came up and shook my bed to wake me up at 8:45.  I wasn't too ready to do anything.  But the guys wanted to go scouting, thinking we might actually have a chance to do something.  I was more than confident that the snow was just too much.  But I got ready anyway.

We headed over to the airport, and I took off to check it out.  I was quite surprised to see that just a few miles south of us was quite a bit of snow in the flatlands!  I can see some of it from my hotel window, but this was pretty widespread.  And the hills?  Not a chance.  It's not goin' anywhere.  And the flight itself was actually quite disturbing.  The winds were doing something fierce.  Updrafts and weird feelings just at 8000 feet.  I turned to the southwest, and I was being pushed sideways like I couldn't believe!  The winds were pretty strong just above the ground.

I flew about 5 miles west, then 10 miles south, then headed back in.  I was crabbin' pretty nicely in order to stay lined up with the runway, but I put her down pretty nicely.  I had logged 0.7 hours.

We came back to the hotel and watched the NASCAR race on TV.  At least for awhile.  I went out and grabbed some Jimmy John's, then went down for a much-needed nap.  While flying, I just didn't feel right.  I was...out of it.  I ended up sleeping for three hours.  It was MUCH-needed.  I went out for McD's sweet tea and Subway tonight and then spent much of the night playing pool again.  What a routine I have here.

I also called Dad up and talked extensively with him about my opportunity.  He helped to make things more clear.  Basically, money can't buy ya happiness.  I know that deep down, but it was just a good reminder.  And it really helped hearing myself talk about everything.  That provided some clarity within itself.  Basically, I am going to aggressively pursue a jet job this summer.  I got into aviation with the express intent of flying passengers, and that is still what I want to do.  Great pay or not.  I'm a bit nervous about not liking it, but I really think I will.  I just want someone else in the cockpit with me, and I want to provide a service to others.  I know it won't be a bed of roses, but this is my dream!  This is what I want to do!

And I'm actually excited to aggressively pursue it now that the season is winding down AND I am approaching the minimums for hiring.  I'm gettin' geared up to take the ATP written, and I'm goin' to study my butt off to actually land the job after an interview.  Frankly, I'm terrified that a job isn't out there, but I can't let that get me down.  I owe it to myself to go after it.  I guess we'll see what happens.

But I DO want to fly for an airline!!!  I do, I do, I do!!!

And I'm so glad I figured that out.

Talked with Jenn a couple of times today.  She is so ready for me to be home.  We'll see what happens!  I am really anxious to see how this week is going to play out.  I just don't think any of us can stay here any longer!  We're not doing anything!

I'm callin' Arizona in my near future.  I guess time will tell.

Went to bed at 12:10 A.M.  Alarm is set for 8:30 A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment