Monday, June 7, 2010

So Much Better!!!--June 6, 2010

DSC09617

On the back cover of a photo book I made last year in my first season of aerial mapping, I had the quote, "...the best of times, the worst of times."  So it is.

Woke up at 7:10 A.M.  Grabbed breakfast, showered, then headed for the airport!  Woo hoo!  We would get a flight in BEFORE the turbulence hit!  It was supposed to hit triple digits out here in the desert valley today, so I was eager to get up early.

The other pilot and I took off, then headed west.  Because it was so smooth, I didn't fly above 7000 feet (field elevation is around 5000 feet).  And even then, I was too high!  So I dropped down to 6000 feet.  Agh, so fun!!!  Now THIS is what flying is all about!  Pete and I found each other, then maintained visual the rest of the time.  It's just so fun flying with someone else!!!  At one point over frequency, I said, "You know, if I had to pay for this myself, I would have to pay $220-$300 just to get this one hour."  And it's true.  For a twin like the Aztec, I would be paying that much for an hour.  And here I was GETTING PAID to have fun in an Aztec!!!  I don't get it!!!  But as I've said so many times before, I just can't complain about that.

I landed back at KGJT.  I had logged 0.9 hours.  Quite a fun flight.  Very enjoyable.

And it was only 9:30!!!  Perfect!  I LOVE days like these!

Pete and I headed back to the hotel, and I was eager to get to a Sunday morning church service for the first time in weeks.  I went to a service on Wednesday a week and a half ago, but I was eager to go again.  So I headed to a larger church in town for the 11:00 service.  I walked right in to the auditorium and was a bit disappointed to find out it was "young adult" Sunday!  ha!  It was pretty much the exact same thing from a week and a half ago.  Same speaker, same bad, etc.  And the guy kept on referring to these young people as the future of the church.  Man, that rubs me raw.  I wholeheartedly believe that kids, youth, AND young adults ARE the church as much as the 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90-year olds.  I just cringe when I hear that we/I/kids are the church of tomorrow.  SCREW that.  I am the church of today, dang it.  Oh well.  I didn't talk to a soul.  No handshakes, no acknowledgement of existence.  Another bad taste in my mouth.  I'm not so sure I'm a fan of these bigger churches.  Oh, to be known.

I got out at 12:30, picked up Pete, and we headed to Famous Dave's BBQ for lunch.  Ah, so good!  I highly enjoy BBQ, chain or not.  I'll take it.  We came back to the hotel.  Around mid-afternoon, I decided to head out for a run.  I haven't done it much lately (or much at all this year!), but I just can't say "no" to this weather.  It's perfect!!!  It was a very nice 100 degrees.  So off I went.  And boy oh boy, I was pretty out of shape!  I hate it!  But I pressed on...making it a run/walk/run/walk event!  Agh!  But it felt so good.  I mean, painful.  But so good!!!

I went 1.5?  2?  Who knows.  Probably the shorter of the two!  ha!  I love this dry heat, though!  It's hard to beat!  I came back and jumped in the pool.  So refreshing!

Pete and I went downtown for supper around 6:00, but we had a hard time finding anything open (anything worthwhile anyway).  We finally settled on a pub.  I ordered a sandwich and a drink, and I was pretty much shocked to find the sandwich coming out in plastic wrap!  Oh boy.  I apologized to Pete for my choice, but we stuck with it.  My sandwich had the word "FRIDAY" on it.  Ha!  Nothing like a two-day old sandwich.  Oh well.  I wasn't overly hungry due to the huge meal at lunch, so it was ok.  We had a couple of drinks, then decided to try out another bar.

So we drove around and found one called Wrigley Field bar.  Fine by me!!!  We walked in, and we were two of about five.  Typical Sunday crew, I guess.  But we ended up staying there a couple of hours.  We had a nice bartender, and we had some very talkative folks in there, as well.  So it was enjoyable.  I was being hit on by an older woman...true story.  She couldn't get enough of the beard.  Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

All in all, it was fairly enjoyable.  Fairly.  I'm not a huge drinker, so I only had two more drinks.  I just have no desire to get drunk, and that's pretty much what everyone else was doing.  Imagine that.  The chick was enjoyable, but what she didn't know is that I found her very unattractive for keeping on drinking.  <sigh>  I guess the search continues!

Came back to the hotel after the bar shut down.  The girls were going downtown to drink some more and invited us, but I was more than happy to say "no thanks."  Was in bed at 1:00 A.M.  Alarm is set for 9:30.  The winds are going to be kicking tomorrow, so we won't be imaging at all.  I'll take a day to stay up later every now and again.

All in all, a pretty good day.  I enjoyed it.  It's a welcome relief.  9 DAYS.

No comments:

Post a Comment