Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Lows--December 6, 2009

Woke up at 5:30.  Way not cool.  It was still dark outside.  I drove Matt out to the airport...I don't think I said even 10 words all morning.  I don't do mornings.  But on the way out there, I imagined what it would be like to be a cargo pilot.  This would be my prime time...I would be landing soon...having put in a solid 8 hours already.  The streets were so quiet.

Went back to the hotel and went right back to bed.  Slept until 7:30.  Woke up, grabbed some breakfast, then headed for church.  This week it was a Methodist one...not sure if I had ever been to a service before.  The church interior was pretty old...a HUGE organ in front...dark woodwork all around.  And a hefty amount of old people.  Oh well.  I was greeted by a few.  That's the beauty of  a smaller church.  A visitor is noticed.  Stayed for the 8:30 service, then the Sunday School afterwards.  I went to the old class...loved the lesson...the Bible came alive through GREAT study.  Almost exciting!  I had a glimmer of hope about doing that for others...but I'm still pretty unsure about that.  The folks were nice.  An enjoyable bunch.  A nice bunch.  I was a mini star for 10 minutes.

Went back to the hotel, then headed out for lunch.  Went to Trails End Diner.  Grabbed some very greasy fried chicken, vowed that I should stop eating this unhealthy stuff, then went back to the hotel.  It was a tasty lunch.

The afternoon was pretty rough.  I remember looking at the clock at one point, and it was only 2:04.  Somehow or another I had to kill 9 hours.  And the day was creeping by.  I watched a little TV.  That didn't last long.  So I hopped on the internet and worked on the website for an hour or two.  That helped out.  I told myself I couldn't eat until 6:00...that way I had spacing during the night to make the hours hopefully go faster.

It didn't work very well.

I went to a bar to eat, honestly just yearning for some type of people interaction.  There wasn't much to start with, but a couple of cute girls sat next to me later.  I talked to one for a bit...but it was going nowhere fast.  She was nice and all.  But I was an outsider.  We had nothing.  She quickly returned to talking to her cousin who really didn't give me the time of day.  I literally just sat there...pretty lonely!  How's that for honesty?

Stayed there for an hour and a half.  Two hours?  I don't know.  I didn't want to leave.  As terrible as it sounds, the people, the noise, the girls were painful but at least distractions for what I knew was back at the hotel:  loneliness.  But even that found me at the bar.  I left...the girls (literally sitting right next to me) didn't even notice.  She had turned her back by this point.  I looked back as I walked out the door to confirm (we had talked, so it WAS a bit awkward not to say good-bye), but sure enough, she was still facing away.  I would like to tell myself she'd be surprised when she'd turn around to see me gone, but frankly, I really don't think she cares.  There was just no concern from her.  At all.

Came back to the hotel.  And pretty much just waited for the night to pass.

This job is fantastic.  But there are days you simply can't plan for.  At times, I think I'm tough as nails.  At others, I realize I'm just a human.  Today was less than exciting.  No tears, no crazy sympathy drama or anything like that.  It wasn't THAT bad.  But just a blah day.  Oh, the clouds were at 1000 feet (overcast), and we had rain.  Hence the no flying.

I'm ready to fly again.  ha.  I have to write this if nothing else than but to realize how silly my life is.  While talking with the girl, I had asked what she did, she asked what I did (I asked if she wanted me to lie or tell the truth...I should have gone with the lie).  I was thinking windmills would have been a good answer.  But I told her I was here for aerial mapping.  She was interested for all of about 10 seconds (very common), then that was over and done.  Anyway, later on, I asked if she'd like to go for a ride tomorrow.  She told me, and I quote, "I have a hyper-active heart."  Of course!  A hyper-active heart.  I mean, why wouldn't you have a hyper-active heart?!  A "no" would have been much simpler.  Even an "I'm afraid" would have settled with me better.  But alas, this is what I got.  I try to offer a free plane ride, I try to get some type of conversation in the air, I try to have some type of conversation tonight!  And she had a hyper-active heart.

Funny thing is I believed her.

Went to bed at 11:00.  Might get to fly tomorrow.  Forecast is for clouds at 1500 feet at 9:00...then 10,000 feet at 1:00.  We'll see how that all works.

No comments:

Post a Comment