Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sweat Equity--June 21, 2010

Woke up at 7:45.  I was sooooooooo tired.  I ate a bowl of cereal, then laid down on the couch.  I think I fell asleep for a little bit, as the next thing I remember is the garage door going up.  It was Dad coming over to help.  I hurried back to take a shower, but it was about 30 minutes later than I thought it should have been.  I am pretty sure I slept…

Anyway…I showered, then headed outside to help Dad who had already continued what I had begun last night.  We were removing the rocks from right in front of my house.  The area was crazy overgrown, and I wanted to start fresh.  I’m planning on putting bushes in front here, but I want to get rid of all of the weeds first.  It was quite a bit of work.  I would rake, and Dad would shovel the rock into our barrel.  We did that for a couple of hours, I would imagine.

The weed barrier was in terrible condition, and it had a ton of dirt/mud on top of it anyway.  No wonder the weeds loved growing here!!!  Once we got the top layer off, the ground was pretty damp, so the rocks were sticking.  We couldn’t do too much more.  So we tried tackling a dead bush in the corner.  I had cut it down several weeks ago when I was home last.  It has a couple of new shoots coming up, but it’s just downright ugly with all of the cut branches.  It’s definitely coming up.  But again, the wet ground really hampered our efforts.  It’s going to have to dry out first before we can finish that one.

This was work today!!!

So we headed back to continue the project from yesterday.  I finally decided that I wanted a smaller area around my mailbox.  Easier to manage.  So I made a little area around the mailbox and prepared it for flowers.  The other area needed to be filled with dirt.  Lots and lots of dirt.

We took a break for lunch and headed over to Mom and Dad’s house.  We figured we would go ahead and take Casey over his mower and weed trimmer and kill two birds with one stone.  So we ate the left-overs from yesterday, then took Casey his goodies, then headed into Wal-Mart for flowers and grass seed.  I bought 10 packs of flowers…for 89 cents each.  That’s my type of price.

I came back and planted all of the flowers.  It looks decent.  It is SO much smaller, and the huge area of dirt obviously is going to take awhile to change, but I think in the long run, I’ll like having something more simple.  Plus I don’t have to deal with the rocks anymore.  And no weed barrier for that.  It should be easier all around.  Less is more.

From there, we headed over to my aunt’s house to pick up some dirt.  By now, it was a BLAZING 100 degrees with the heat index.  I mean, it was HOT.  And so stinking humid.  I was almost totally zapped while shoveling the dirt.  But we managed to get 5 wheelbarrows full into my truck.  I hoped that would be enough!

We came back home and shoveled it out of my truck (it’s so nice having a truck!).  That was work, too.  And we were both just dead-tired by now.  But we got it all in there.  Dad was so tuckered he decided to head home for the day.  But that was allowed as it was already 4:30!  That’s a full day’s work right there!  I went ahead and tilled up the ground, leveled the dirt, seeded the ground, and raked it all in.  I then watered it.  So this project is essentially complete.  It only took a couple of days, but it should look a ton better here in a couple of weeks.  I just need that grass to grow!!!

DSC00003

DSC00018

DSC00023

DSC00031

 

I came inside and just rested.  I needed off of my feet.  I took a shower, then talked to a friend about her family for awhile.  I also learned I might have a mowing job for the summer.  That would be nice…some extra cash on the side.  Nothing huge, but it can pay for gas!!!

I headed over to Jobu’s house to have homemade ice cream a lil’ before 7:00.  We had everyone there basically.  Mom , Dad, Jobu, Kristin, Boogs, Casey, Micaiah, Crazy, and myself.  A fun time.  We ate peanut butter Oreo homemade ice cream, talked, and played intense games of Wii.  A very enjoyable night.

I left around 10:15.

I was in bed by midnight.  Alarm is set for a “late” 8:00 A.M.  I am just so doggone exhausted!!!  My body is spent!  But the yard is looking better already.  Just a little bit at a time…

No comments:

Post a Comment