Thursday, March 25, 2010

All Worth It--March 24, 2010

DSC09809

Woke up at 7:45.  That didn't last long.  Fell asleep again and finally got out of bed around 8:20.

We had nothing but blue skies!!!  Amazing how that happens.  Nasty overcast the past couple of days and perfect today.  My boss and I went over the airport to fly!  He wanted me to get a few more landings underneath my belt in order to give me more confidence...and him, as well!

We took off, and I actually flew a calibration field first.  That wasn't too bad.  It's the same thing as flying a 172, but the distances I have to go off the line are a bit different.  But it was fairly straightforward.

I came back in and shot an ILS...and then turned that into a single-engine landing.  This plane has so much power that it is pretty simple to climb on one engine (in cold New York), but I still came in a bit low.  I added power, though, and it recovered nicely.  I made a pretty good landing.  The only thing I forgot?  CARB HEAT.  Grr.  Oh, well, that's how ya learn!  I taxied back and took off again.  This time I did just a normal landing.  Again, it was nice!  I took off and did a third.  No problems.  My boss asked me if I wanted to go again, but I said nah.  I was feeling really good.

I taxied back to the FBO where we grabbed a car and then went out to eat.  Mediterranean food.  I love this stuff!  I then went to our company headquarters to drop off my calibration field data, then took the boss to the Amtrak station, then came back!  I was soooooooooooooooooooooooo excited!!!  This would be my FIRST time alone in a twin!  I have 85 hours or so PIC time, but there has always been someone else in there!  I was eager to get out on my own.

And I did just that.  Denver was cancelled, and I was now going to Cleveland...not too far away.  But I was going by myself!!!  Woo hoo!!!  And it was fantastic.  The flight was just perfect.  This airplane is so fun to fly!  It is way more challenging than a 172, but at the same time, it flies pretty easily.  There's certainly more to do, but I love it.  I absolutely had the time of my life today.  It was such a fun flight.

I had clear skies all the way.  It was only a two-hour flight, but I just savored the entire trip.  I was cruising right around 130 knots at 4500 feet.  I'll take it!  I flew just south of Buffalo, then followed Lake Erie for awhile.  I came up to Cleveland, but they wouldn't clear me in to the Class B airspace, so I had to fly over the lake a few miles.  No worries.  I dropped down to 3000 feet and just took in the skyline with the water.  So beautiful!  There is an airport right there on the lake that would be sweet to land at!  It's literally right next to downtown...just like Chicago used to have!!!

DSC09801

I found the airport I was landing at and went through the landing checklist.  Agh, I love this!!!  Gear down, mixtures, props, throttles, fuel pumps.  (Ok, so there is more than that, but still!).  There IS more to do, though.  It's fun actually flying a real airplane for a change!!!  Don't get me wrong, I love the Cessna 172, and I have nearly 1000 hours in 'em, but this is a welcome change.  I just love it!

I talked to a guy on a picnic table as I waited for my hotel shuttle.  He asked about my job, and I told him, and he said that I must have the life.  I can't complain, I said.  He told me about a friend who is instructing in order to build the hours.  I know all about it...there is a story everywhere.  I am sooooooooooooooo grateful to have this job!  And once he found out that I flew the Aztec, well, it was over.  There is just something different about flying a twin than a single.  It's not arrogance...it's just respect.  For whatever reason, you get more respect.  Who knows.

I walked to BWW's for supper and then spent the rest of the night in the hotel.

All told, I logged 3.8 hours of twin time today!!!  3.8!!!  If I purchased that myself, it would easily cost me $950.  And yet they paid me.  I just don't get it.  But you won't hear me complain!!!

Wooooooo hooooooo!!!  I am seriously on Cloud 9 right now!  I just loved flying that bird today.  What a fun day!!!

Went to bed pretty wired at 1:00 A.M.  Wish I had something to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment