Friday, August 6, 2010

A Farm Girl!!!--August 5, 2010

Woke up at 9:10 A.M.  Took a shower and waited on my sister to pick me up.  We were heading to Grandma and Grandpa's house to visit and have lunch.  She arrived around 9:30, and we were off.  We had my grandparents, my sis, Baby, my uncle, and my cousin's wife.  A fun crew.

I helped Grandpa take care of some chores around the house.  Simple stuff really but stuff that needs to be done nonetheless.  I carried down tomato juice to the basement and helped him get a profile on Facebook!  Agh, it's true!  My 85-year-old grandpa is now on Facebook!  More power to him, but I think it's going to be sensory overload with all of the ads and clickable items.  We'll see.  Remember when Facebook was pretty neat?  Yeah, that was about 5 years ago.

We ate a wonderful meal.  Fried chicken, mashed potatoes, corn, fresh tomatoes from the garden, cottage cheese.  And, of course, Grandma's apple pie.  After we ate, Grandpa had me re-arrange his tractors in his machine shed.  So I hopped in the John Deere 4450 and moved it out, then took the shredder off of the 3020 and put it out.  I then put the 4450 back in and then the 3020 in front of it.  After several years of wanting to do it, Grandpa is finally having his ol' 1966 John Deere 3020 painted!  I don't think it's a complete restoration, but I'm excited to see how it looks when it comes back.  I have so many fond memories on that tractor.  Some of my best memories from growing up.

Erica and I ended up leavin around 1:15.  I made the comment to her that I want a farm so bad!  I just can't shake it!  I also said you never know when the last visit is going to be.  It's a reality that I just don't like to think about!  We headed back to Springfield, taking a short detour once we were back to check out a house for a possible rental property.  Erica and I talked finances on the way home.  Pretty fun.  There is sooooooooooooooooooo much to be said about paying off your first house quickly.  Or staying in it longer.  It sets you up so well for your next (and final?) house.  It's fun to teach.

Once back, I hopped on the internet to check out another house I had looked at last year, but I was having problems with my laptop screen.  It would go in and out with the A/C adapter.  I checked out the adapter, and it was frayed at the tip.  So I made several phone calls around town trying to find a replacement.  $50-$99.  ha!  No thanks.  I found them online for $10.  So I bought one.  And I kid you not, RIGHT after I bought one, I stood up to walk away from my laptop, and my foot got caught in the cord.  It pulled pretty aggressively, and I turned around only to see my cord COMPLETELY pulled away from the connector piece.  Well, crap.  Without that, I only had my battery power (1.5 hours?) for the next several days.  I needed to make a utility payment, and, of course, I would love to use it to journal each night, check stocks, e-mail, etc.

I was in dire straits.

Dad came over to pick up some tools around 4:40, but I was trying to figure out a way to make my bill payment before 5:00.  I was finally able to do it.  But I still had a broken power cord!  And my new one is being shipped from California!  GRR!!!  It can't get here soon enough.

Jobu had asked me last night if I wanted to go shooting tonight, and sure enough, around 5:30, he called me.  I had REALLY wanted to get my shed doors done tonight, but I knew this would be a good opportunity to hang out, too.  So I took him up on the offer, knowing that it would only last an hour or so.  Kristin had brought her AR-15 assault rifle, and oh my, what a gun that is!!!  You can feel the shock wave off of the gun.  It's ridiculous.  It boggles my mind how such power can come from such a small piece of metal.  It was pretty fun!!!  I had a decent shot (not RIGHT on target), but I think with a couple more tries, I could nail it pretty solid.  Of course, it DID help that we were using a laser sight.

I ended up coming home with the intentions of working on my shed, but I got back around 6:30.  By the time I picked up my wood and hinges and returned, it would be 7:30.  Tha would only give me an hour to work on the shed.  Definitely not enough time.  So after much contemplation, I took Kristin up on her offer to eat spaghetti at her house.  I invited over Casey and Erica, too, and so we all spent the evening there.

I took over my A/C adapter and spent about 30 minutes trying to solder pieces back together.  I didn't have much wire to work with on the connector, and the solder didn't want to stay, but I think I finally got a piece that held strong enough.

I ate two plates of spaghetti and had some chocolate mousse cake, too!  Fattening!'

The TV was on most of the time, but I didn't like that, so I suggested we all go for a walk.  They took me up on it.  So we walked around the neighborhood.  Pretty fun, though I was tired at the end!  It's nice having a neighborhood to walk in...there were so many other people out doing it, too.  And the night was just simply gorgeous.  Pretty fun.

I ended up going home around 9:45.  I tried out my adapter, and it looks like it is going to work.  At least for a few days until I get my new one!  It's definitely a temporary fix.  I talked a bit with my roommate Sean who is leaving tomorrow.  We had a pretty good mutual set-up.  He had a nice place to live, I had a nice income coming in.  It was good.

Ended up talking to a girl I am quite interested in!  She's a country girl through and through.  She loves horses and is definitely a girl I'm eager to learn more about!  And stinkin' gorgeous.  Talked to her until about 1:00 A.M.  Finally went to bed at 1:10 A.M.  I'm not sure if I'm going to the funeral tomorrow.  I learned that it's in Moline, not Macomb, so I lost about 3 more hours of my day.  GRR!!!  I REALLY want to finish this shed!  What to do, what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment