Tuesday, August 10, 2010

One Frustrating Day--August 9, 2010

Woke up at 8:00 A.M.  I wasn't feelin' that, so I lay in bed for another 20 minutes or so.  Finally got up, grabbed some breakfast, took a shower, then headed out the door to work on the shed.  I kind of stared blankly at it for awhile, not really sure which part I should tackle.  I finally said to myself, "Do something."  I was certainly in a state of not doing anything as I thought about what to do!

So I started measuring the door trim pieces.  I cut them, then painted them.  I also mowed a little bit more of my yard and threw the glass clippings on the garden.  I gave the door trim pieces another coat of paint and then headed out to Menard's to check out some corner trim pieces.  After much debate, I went ahead and bought four galvanized steel 90-degree flashing pieces.  The plan was to paint them, cut them, and then insert them underneath the drip-edge.  And they were already 90-degrees, so I wouldn't have to worry about cutting wood.

I drove back home, nailed up the door trim pieces, installed the hasp I had bought last night, and then started painting the flashing pieces.  They were going to need a couple of coats of paint for sure.  I grabbed a bite to eat inside (I'm living off of microwaveable meals anymore), then came back out and painted the corner trim some more.  It was blazing hot outside, though.  It was around 108 degrees, and I was feeling every one.

I nailed up one of the corner trim pieces, but it just wasn't looking right.  The metal was too flimsy, and it didn't make a good seal with the wood.  I called Dad to see if it would be doable still, and he recommended I glue the pieces on?!  Sigh.  I hadn't planned on spending more money!  Out of frustration, I just quit for awhile.  I went inside and lay on the couch, actually falling asleep for about 15 minutes.  The shed was just really irking me today.  Here I was supposed to be finished with it, and I am encountering problems simply because I tried to "cut some corners."  Although THAT is actually the problem.  Because I didn't CUT THE CORNERS, I tried to get an easy way of doing trim.  It proved to be foolish.

Why would contractors for years and years and years do it with the wood trim?  Why would they not use what I had just purchased?  I was about to find out.  I went out to Wal-Mart, bought some heavy-duty adhesive and tried to get the pieces to stick to the wood.  That wasn't happening.  So I had to end up nailing them up with tiny nails...a process within itself.  And then I found the problem.  I had to make a wooden trim piece that would cover up the crack between the two siding pieces.  Well, since I chose to use a VERY thin piece of steel for the corner trim, I now had nothing to butt up against with this horizontal trim.  In essence, the trim was just going to be hanging there in the middle of the wall on its own, every side exposed.

I was so frustrated.  I never saw it coming.  By trying to save just 8 cuts, I now ran into a bigger problem.  Flashing that didn't fit right and a  trim piece that looks a bit awkward on its own.  But by this time, I just had the mentality, "Finish it."  So I went at the shed...hard.  I just wanted to get this thing done.  I put all four corner pieces on, then cut, painted, and installed, the horizontal trim (awkwardly falling off the ladder at one point while trying to hold the piece up by myself and nail it...I hit the ladder, some parts on the ground, and the ground pretty hard.  I ended up completely on my stomach, face to the ground).  But I was in essence done.

Frankly, I was still a bit frustrated.  The shed honestly looks fine, and I KNOW that.  But I also know that it wasn't done correctly, and I know how I operate...that is going to be on my mind virtually every time I see it!  It's a frustrating mentality, but I just know me!  But I'll just have to accept it...it's not going anywhere.  Admittedly, I'm a bit nervous about the water aspect, too.  Water can certainly get in behind the corner trim pieces...exactly what I didn't want to happen.  I really don't think it's going to affect anything in the short-term, but I'm afraid my 20-year shed might be more like a 10 or 15-year one now.  Who knows.  Shoot, I may have water coming in at more places that I care to admit!  We'll have to wait and see.

I cleaned up the back yard and started putting more stuff in the shed from the garage.  I'm just ready for this whole project to be behind me!  And I'm eager to use the Man Cave, too.

All in all, I'm probably 98% done with the shed.  I need to put reinforcement pieces behind the door, and that will be it.  I'll be done.  I'll just have to wait and see how it handles rain.  I'm not too optimistic that it's going to be sealed completely.  Namely with the door.  But, it is what it is.


Anyway.  I have a shed.  A decent one.  A strong one.  Though not a perfect one.  I've learned a lot, and it's somewhat rewarding.  Though I'll admit that today took a lot of reward and pride out of me!  It became a burden, an expense, and a frustration.  Maybe there is something to be learned in there, who knows.

Oh well.

Threw a pizza in for supper and stayed inside.  Tried to get caught up on receipts for the past month.  I've been TERRIBLE with record-keeping this past month.  And I hate that.  But it looks like I'm spending money left and right...not good.  July was a terrible month for me in terms of expenses.  And with this shed, August just isn't going to be any better.  I'm ready to have a month of nothing but water, electricity, internet, and gas.  These projects are killing me.

Talked to Whitney for about 20 minutes around 11:00-ish.  Hung up, wrote this, and headed to bed at 11:40.  Going to try to get the Man Cave "open" for business tomorrow.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment