Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sweat Labor--August 2, 2010


Woke up to my alarm at 8:00 A.M.  But that just didn't happen.  Ended up falling back asleep and waking up at a little after 9:00.  I felt much better, but I had missed an hour of work on the shed!  I grabbed my check from the sale of some stocks and headed over to the credit union.  I saw Dad while there, and I was trying to figure out the best way to install my rafters.  The toe-nail method just wasn't too sturdy in my book.  I eventually decided that I wanted to do it properly, so I headed to Menards to buy some brackets.

I made a quick stop at the gas station first to buy two gallons of milk, then headed out to Menards.  I picked up a plastic ridge vent while there and 16 of the hurricane ties.  Only 34 cents apiece.  That will work.  But it's another $17 into this shed!!!  Grr!

I came back home and started going at the rafters.  Frankly, the work was pretty easy.  I didn't get started until after around 11:00 o'clock, but that has been the norm as of late.  I got all of the rafters installed, then started working on cutting the siding.  Basically, that was hard work in and of itself.  The 4x8 pieces are just hard to handle and very heavy.  So I would cut off about a foot or so on the end, lean the board against myself, then walk it to the back.  It was work!  The frustrating part is that I couldn't really do much beyond that.  I simply needed someone else to help me.  But Casey was at work, Jobu had to work, and Crazy is out of state.  GRR!

Dad came over on his lunch hour and helped me to hang up a couple.  He said he would be back around 2:30 to make some town runs if I needed anything.  So I made it a goal to have all of the siding pieces cut by then.  I was able to do that.  He came at 2:30, and we headed to run some errands.  I returned a brake hose from a few weeks ago to Auto Zone, made a utility payment at a bank, then picked up MORE pieces at Menard's.  For whatever reason, I had miscalculated the siding pieces.  I had purchased 7, but I needed an additional 4.  Sigh.  These are one of the most expensive pieces, too!!!  I also picked up 7 bundles of shingles, plywood for the roof, and drip edge for the roof.  I spent an ADDITIONAL $255.70.  I couldn't believe it!!!  I had REALLY miscalculated this project.  I thought I would be in and out for $400-$450.  I not only spent that the first day, but I have surpassed that by more than I care to admit.  I'm afraid to even add it up.  It's not going to be pretty.  It gets closer and closer to the price of buying a shed every day.

We brought everything back to my house, and it was already 4:00 o'clock by that point.  I had high hopes of getting the siding and roof on tonight, but I needed help.  Dad came back by around 4:40, and we started hanging up the siding. And what work that was!!!  My shed is not perfectly square, and that just makes for some adventures in carpentry right there.  It wasn't too fun!  We had to push on the shed from numerous angles to shift the walls, shift the rafters, and on and on.  It was work!!!

We ended up spending the entire evening working on this thing.  It seemed like a slow process.  Mom came by with some sandwiches and MUCH needed sweet tea.  It was pretty warm outside.  I was just dripping sweat.  Dad and I continued with the work, though, up until we couldn't see any more.  We were able to get all of the siding walls on AND the plywood on the roof.  There is a 30% chance of rain tonight and a 40% chance of rain tomorrow, so we quickly threw the tar paper up on the roof, too, tacking it down with a couple of nails, bundles of shingles, and some concrete edging.

Finally, around 9 o'clock, past the time where I could see the nails I was swinging at, we called it a night.  It was dark.  I hate having to work that long!!!  And I hate even more having my dad be out there doing the work, but I just need the help.  It's much appreciated!

But this project is just taking so much longer than expected!!!  I'm on Day 4 already!

I'm over budget AND overdue!  Not a good combination.  I couldn't even take a picture of the end of our day, as it was just too dark outside.  But it's coming together, and it's starting to look like a legitimate shed!!!

My new roommate finally moved back in tonight, and he asked me if I wanted to go out with him and his friend.  I figured it would be a good time to get to know him, so I took him up on the offer.  I reaaaaaaaaaaaally toyed with not going, as I was tired and could benefit from the sleep.  But we  headed out anyway.  We just went down the road to Mowie's and had some lively conversation!  These are going to be some fun guys to have over!

Ended up coming back around midnight, I think.  But I didn't get to bed until 1:30 A.M.  Alarm is set for 7:40.  Ugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment