Thursday, August 5, 2010

Some Satisfaction!--August 4, 2010

Woke up at 7:20 A.M.  Wasn't movin' too quickly.  Grabbed a bowl of cereal, took a shower, then filled up a water jug and headed out the door.  I headed to the ranch where my brother and I started digging a hole for a fence post.  I grabbed a little over a cup of coffee and waited on the group to come out there.

They arrived around 9:00, and I was sent to lead a group of 5 in the building of a manure compost wall.  Basically, the owner wants to hide the poop from the rest of the ranch.  You can see four large piles when you pull up.  Our job was to make it so you only see a wall!  This was a teenage work crew that came out, and I was pleasantly surprised to find that they were ready and willing to work!  I kind of acted as a foreman/encourager, but I had the students do most of the work.  They set a couple of posts in the ground, lined up to even with the first one (took some work), put quick-rete in the holes, then filled 'em in.


We then had them take 16-foot boards and nail them into the railroad ties.  We had to take a couple of water breaks, but they were always ready and eager to get back to work.  It was around 90 degrees outside without the head index.  It was quickly approaching 105-110 with the humidity.  But we kept working!  They nailed up all of the 16-foot boards, and we had time to stain them!  So we did that, too!  One of the guys cut off the tops of the railroad ties with a chainsaw, and before I knew it, before noon, we had a brand-new fence that blocked off the manure compost pile!  What a joy it was to work with eager workers!!!  I'll take them back any day.


My brother was working with a group of girls in the barn, and they were able to complete a hay feeder.  So now the ranch has three.  That's pretty good!  We took some pics with the group, then sent them on their way!  They were off to work downtown with an inner-city ministry.  Pretty neat crew.  I ate a fairly quick lunch with the owner and my brother, but then I had to leave for a business meeting.

So from 1:00-2:00 I was tied up with that.  I didn't really do a whole lot, but it's a good group to be a part of.  They asked me if I was going back next season, and I told them I was.  I basically have no other option!  So I guess today was the "official in my head" day that marked my return to the company.  For better, for worse!  I'll make the most of it.

I took the afternoon pretty easy.  I ended up heading over to Boogs' house around 2:00-ish.  A man wanted to buy some shelves that I had had in the garage sale.  I am now $8 richer!  I stayed and talked with Boogs and played with Micaiah until 2:45.  I headed back home and took it fairly easy.  But I just wanted to work on my shed!  So I did just that.

I started working on it around 4:00, I think.  I went out and extended my door siding pieces.  I want to have enough room on top to place some trim, so I had to shorten my door by a 2x4 edge.  Pretty simple.  Then I got really ambitious and hopped up on the roof!  It was pretty hot but not too bad.  I tackled the ridge.  Frankly, it wasn't that bad.  I am pretty good at roofing!  My roof from last night turned out pretty good, if I do say so myself!  Outside of the LAST piece I put in which was a bit off!  I literally couldn't see where I was nailing!  It was too dark at that point.  Oh well.

As I was working, I heard thunder in the distance.  Hmm.  But it kept getting closer!  Sure, here is me working ON a roof with a thunderstorm coming!  It was a good incentive to get it done.  And I did just that.  I got the ridge shingles on and the ridge vent.  It looks good!  I was thrilled.  And just in time, too!  Just 10 minutes after I finished the roof, it started raining!  What timing!  A VERY-welcomed cold front passed over head with some sweet-looking clouds.  But it went from 95 to 78 in the snap of a finger.  The winds kicked up really strong for a bit, and it actually felt cold!  I was thrilled!  It was so much easier to work outside after that.


I cleaned up my entire yard, watered my tomato plants, and brought my four-wheeler around to the back only to realize that my shed is just small!  ha!  As my dad says, "You never build them big enough."  The shed will certainly work (I don't use the four-wheeler much), but that four-wheeler is a tight fit!  Oh well!  I didn't want anything bigger in my backyard!  I'll make it work.


I headed out to Sonic at 7:15 to meet a friend, and we ended up staying there until 9:00.  I talked with my two roommates (and one's girlfriend) for a bit, then stayed up just messing around on the computer.  Ended up going to bed at 1:00 A.M.

A very productive day, for sure.  I am thrilled.  I am going to try to make my doors tomorrow so that I can paint the shed on Saturday.  I'll be away most of the day Friday for a funeral...

I'm ready to see the finished product!  I'm excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment