Thursday, March 4, 2010

Hangin' Around--March 4, 2010

Woke up at 7:45 strictly to take the guys to the airport.  I cleaned out my bird and handed over the keys.  Bittersweet.  I'll miss having one BEAUTIFUL airplane, but I also know that twin time is coming.  She was a good girl, though.  I have nearly 350 hours in her this season.

I came back to the hotel and went to sleep again.  I ended up napping for just over an hour.  But man, I needed it.  Going to bed at 1:30 and waking up at 7:00 (unintentionally) and then 7:45 just didn't do it for me.

The new pilot of my airplane called me before I napped, though, and asked what RPM the engine shows on take-off.  I literally asked, "You look at that"?!  Obviously I don't.  I said I just listen for the engine and check the oil pressure.  I literally couldn't tell him how many RPM's are shown on the gauge.  Frankly, I didn't care.

Well, he wasn't confident, so he had a mechanic come out and check it out.  Interesting.  It's not that that is wrong or anything...it's just interesting to me how pilots fly different ways.  We had a talk about how I listen for the sound of the engine.  He didn't really agree that that could be done (or was the best way).  I don't know!  It's worked for me so far!  I think it just goes with knowing your airplane.  Like I said, I have 350 hours in her...he doesn't.  It's understandable from both sides.  Frankly, I would have been confident to have flown it.  But to each his own.

I ended up using today to be productive, too!  I bought a washer and dryer this morning for my house (another $250) and then spent the afternoon working on a checklist for the Aztec.  I just want to have one when I fly...and frankly I think I should have one!  It's been nice, though, to make this as it helps me go through "flying" the airplane without being around it.  Typing out the procedures has sure helped.

Picked the guys up in the late afternoon.  They flew 5-6.5 hours today.  I logged zero.  While there at the airport, though, the new camera came in so I installed that.  I SHOULD be "good to go" for tomorrow.

Went out to eat at a Greek restaurant, then spent the night in.

Ended up going to bed at 10:45.

Oh, and we're all here again.  Matt and Ivo were supposed to leave for St. Louis, but because of the RPM question, they both stayed around.  They should be out of here tomorrow, though.  Hopefully we follow suit soon after.  I'm ready to leave this place.  Too many slow drivers...and it's already been over a week!  Past my limit!

No comments:

Post a Comment