Thursday, March 18, 2010

We Have a Green Light!!!--March 17, 2010

Woke up at 9:45 A.M.  Again, I'm in no hurry!  But I figured sleeping until 11-somethin' was a bit over-the-top.

I headed into the airport at 11:00...where I wandered aimlessly for about an hour.  My real boss was in town today, and I wanted to eat with her, so I waited around until that happened.  It's always nice to be able to spend time with the boss...it's pretty relaxed.  She is seriously pretty great to work for.

After lunch, my fake boss and I drove over to Orlando to pick up some metal for the Aztec.  The FAA guy approved the modifications EARLY this morning...I mean EARLY.  At 1:00 A.M.!!!  But the project moves forward...and quickly.  The approval is seriously HUGE news.  Basically, it means that the aircraft can be ready to go as soon as we fulfill the modifications we requested.  Let the fun begin!

Our goal is to be out of Daytona Beach on the way up to New York by Saturday.  Whether that happens or not is anyone's guess, but that's the goal.  We started fabricating the metal this afternoon and worked into the night.  I left around 8:15 to get some supper, go "home," but I headed back.  The guys used my help for another hour, but I called it quits at 10:30 P.M.  My boss and mechanic are literally planning on spending the next couple of days at the airport working on this thing.  I don't get it.  But there is money to be made, contracts to fulfill.  In my mind, it's kind of crazy, and I was more than happy to come home and actually just sit and relax.  But at the same time, it's kind of fun/funny to watch people work HARD.  And long!

Here's to hoping that the Aztec is ready to go by Saturday.  It's goin' to all happen real quick.  I learned today that I'll be flying up to New York to have the cameras put in...then off to Denver for my first project.  Of course, with anything in this job, I only believe it AFTER it happens.  But it's still fun to think about.

Flying a twin across the country.  SIGN ME UP.  Went to bed at 12:45 A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment