Saturday, January 30, 2010

It's Here!!!--January 29, 2010

Woke up at 11:00 A.M.  ha!

Sure enough, it was pretty nasty outside.  Actually, I was surprised at how little precipitation we had after all of the crazy news reports about it, but I guess it was just the beginning of the storm.  I was expecting ice all over.  There was BARELY a trace out there.  At least from my window.

But we went over to the airport to get our receipts, and on the way to the car, yeah, it was pretty yucky out there.  The cars all had a 1/8" of ice on them, and we had to break the seal just to get our doors open.  Just like back home!

Grabbed the receipts out of our planes, then ate some lunch at the airport.  No flights going or coming.  The last flight out was at 10:53 A.M.  All of the rest had been canceled.  While at our hotel, EVERYONE was running around the lobby.  All from canceled flights.  At 12:25 P.M., our hotel was sold out.  The airlines were expecting the worst.

I shopped around for home owner's insurance this doesn't appear to be too expensive.  Although it was frustrating with one company.  They wouldn't insure my rental until they first insured my house.  I told them I didn't own one.  "Well, surely, you have to live somewhere."  I live out of hotels, I told him.  He still asked if I had an apartment or a house.  No, sir, I do not.  Then he tried to sell me renter's insurance FIRST before he would sell me rental insurance.  No, thanks.  It's the whole battle against much of society when we don't meet their molds.  It gets frustrating after awhile.  Because we don't fit the cookie cutter molds, we often don't get to enjoy some perks (like buying a house, for example).  It took me a couple of years at this job before I was even considered.  Whatever.

Well, the weather became worse.  Freezing rain.  Then it changed to sleet.  Then back to freezing rain.  And then some snow during the evening.  It was pretty nasty.  Not crippling.  But certainly something to be dealt with.  Stan ended up in the ditch on his way to mail the receipts.  The car was covered in mud.

We went out to eat at Boston's for supper...just a mile away.  The entrance was full of people waiting.  We were told it would be a 30-minute wait.  About 45 minutes later, we were seated...and the people just kept coming in.  They only had two cooks...and a full restaurant.  It took 15-20 minutes to get the appetizers, another 20 minutes to get our food, and then another 15-20 minutes to get the desserts.  Eating is enjoyable...but we had been waiting so long, that I was just ready to go after all of it.  In the middle of it, even.  It was such slow service.  We spent over a couple of hours there.  Mostly waiting.

Came back to the hotel, went out for a walk in the stupid temps.  I froze on the way back.  It was ridiculous.

I read the second chapter of "Stick and Rudder."  I really love this book.

Talked to a chick from here in town, then went to bed at 2:00 A.M.  We have sleet and ice and snow all over the ground.  We won't be flying for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment