Thursday, January 7, 2010

More Routine--January 5, 2010

DSC09463

Woke up at 8:00.  Did the morning routine.

Headed out for the airport...did the routine out there.  And I was off for my lines.

And that was pretty much my day.  I flew east, I flew west.  I rinsed and repeated.  Today was just not too exciting!!!  We had nothing but blue skies again.  A massive high-pressure system has been giving us nothing but clear skies!  Today the pressure was 30.51.  That is sooooooo high!!!

Around 12:30, I ended up landing at Opelousas, Louisians (KOPL).  I had to pump my own fuel, surprise, surprise.  I really don't know where we are, but I think there is only one airport within 50 miles that has full-service fuel!!!  It's kind of crazy...I'm certainly not used to it!  I am admittedly use to having a line guy come out, ask what I want, I tell him, and then I go inside and eat!  Now it's land, park in front of the tanks, attach ground wire, insert credit card, move ladder over to wing, pull out hose, top off one side, move ladder, top off other side, reverse the above.  I'm not goin' to lie, I'm just not a big fan!!!

I ate my can of soup and headed back up for the skies.

I had about an hour and a half left of window, and I was able to knock out another whole plan...bringing my total up to 3 today.  Frankly, with these 1 1/2 hour plans, that is just a good, solid day.  I was pleased.  I headed back for Alexandria.

All in all, I flew another 5.6 hours today.  Oh, and I'll be the first to admit that I was pretty bored today.  This job is so crazy...it's just a roller-coaster ride.  A week ago I was flying across the country in some challenging weather and beautiful scenery.  Now I am "mowing" in the sky.  I even thought of other jobs I could do...which allowed me to buy an airplane.  I'd take a wife, grab a plane, and just fly across the country when I felt like it.  Yup, I was bored.

Landed, then waited for our fuel receipts, although they were much faster today.

As I shut down, I saw some vans pull up to a 737 that we park next to on the ramp.  We are told that this jets flies almost daily...carrying illegal immigrants back to their home countries.  Unbelievable.  Mostly South America and Central America.  It was just surreal to me.  Here I am, living my life.  And just a few hundred feet away, some person is being shackled and sent back to what they chose to leave.  Frankly, a great deal of me is angry at them for coming over.  And for thinking about me (us) having to pay for them to get back.  I'm sure it's our tax money.  But then another part of me is just sad and compassionate...what did they leave?  Poverty?  Injustice?  What did they come for?  Freedom?  A husband?  Money?  They obviously felt the need to abandon their homeland and illegally come here...and it wasn't for no reason.  It was just a powerful thought.  Life was happening just a few feet away from me.

For supper, Matt and I headed to Outback Steakhouse...Jeff decided to stay in.  He had just purchased an Xbox from some guy down south, and he was eager to get that all set up.  Frankly, Outback was pretty blah.  I was ridiculously worn out from a long, boring day...and I think I showed up.  Neither Matt nor I talked very much.  Food was strictly for function this evening.

Came back to the hotel...talked to Dani for a little bit.  She pretty much blew up at me...whatever.  She's just having a bad day...month...year...decade.  She told me some stuff, though, that just lay pretty heavy on my heart.  Stuff I'll never forget.  I really, really, really have come to hate this world we live in.  I really do.  I talked to Sandy for a bit, too...she has surgery tomorrow.  Anyway, that conversation was not good, either.  I was just sad/angry at life.  At the injustice, at the unfairness.  I pretty much made her say that she wouldn't date me because I believed in God...which she willingly said.  Perfect.  That's all I need.  Just one more who says that.

I went to be pretty stinkin' sad.  At this life.  For others, for me.  It's just unfair.  Went to bed at 11:00 A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment