Monday, April 12, 2010

And Again...--April 11, 2010


Woke up at 9:00 A.M.  I opened up the curtains.  Unbelievable.  The skies were basically clear again.  <sigh>  Here we go again...

I did the morning routine and drearily walked over to the airport, again with the coffee in hand.  And I really don't drink coffee!!!  I headed for the skies, and they welcomed me with open arms.  I tried doin' one of the middle flight plans, but the turbulence was pretty agressive over the foothills.  I had to abort on the first line.  I simply couldn't hold my altitude!!!

So I headed way up north to the Colorado-Wyoming border.  Snow was still on the ground, but I went ahead and took the gamble that we needed to get this project done, regardless of what was there.  We were already into the spring, and we just don't have much time left.  And we've had an entire week of 60-degree weather, so this snow isn't goin' anywhere anyway.  I started taking pictures.

And frankly, I just wasn't havin' a good day.  I just didn't feel up to par.  I was at 14,500 feet, too, and I kept thinking about that oxygen.  The skies were hazy, and I was catchin' myself focusin' on different things but not really intending to make that many movements.  I don't know.  I was just behind the airplane, behind my thoughts.  But I stayed up there.  I was just tired.  I stayed up there for a few hours, but it was just getting worse.  Not knowing if it was lack of sleep or lack of oxygen, I just aborted it altogether.  I was scarin' myself.

So I dove down lower and told Denver Center that I would be heading in.  I only had two more lines left of one of my plans, but it just wasn't worth it.  I dropped down to Cheyenne for a break.  I had logged 3.8 hours thus far.  I grabbed the courtesy car and headed for Arby's.  What a routine.  It's the same day-in, day-out!!!

Not knowin' how I was goin' to feel, I literally did some jumping exercises outside of the FBO (behind a car) just to get some blood flowin'.  I was just feelin' slooooooooow.  I started the plane back up and headed right back where I came from.  I was able to finish the three flight plans way up here...I shouldn't have to mess with Denver Center anymore, and I told the controller that he could throw that map away!!!  TRACON is who I'll be annoying for the next few weeks!

I came down south about 60 miles to work on the plan that I had tried to start earlier.  But it was just downright bumpy right next to those mountains.  I even tried working a little ways out from the mountains, but it was still turbulent.  I called it a day.

I had logged 6.1 hours.

I ended up grillin' out with Tammi this evening.  That was so nice of her.  It is just SO GOOD to get out of the hotel and have a normal life.  I certainly anticipate more grilling this summer!!!  Speakin' of which, I need to buy a grill!  Another item for the house!  yikes!

I stayed over at her apartment until 8:45, but she had homework to do, so she brought me back.  I was happy about that, though.  These long days and packed nights have been killing me.  I was more than happy to just "veg" in the hotel room.  And that is what I did.

Tomorrow is lookin' fairly decent.  Clouds are forecast to be at 10,000 feet, but with the field elevations, that puts them at nearly 16,000...higher than most of our plans!!!  The winds are goin' to be interesting, though.  They are supposed to be around 30 knots out of the south...that could present some nasty turbulence up there if it hits those mountains just right.  Most of the remaining plans are fairly close to the mountains, too.  Most of the eastern stuff has already been done.

I'm just ready to have some non-oxygen flights.  My nose is still painful, as are my ears.

Went to bed at 10:40 P.M.

I think I can handle a 4-5 hour day.  But please not 8.  I just don't want it!!!

On a GREAT side note, though...I already have 52 hours for the month of April.  52!!!  And that brings my total multi-time up to 162 already!!!  I've nearly doubled my time in just a few weeks!  I'll most certainly take it.

So eager for a good night's sleep.  Alarm is set for 8:00 A.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment