Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Snoooooow!!!--April 7, 2010


Woke up at 8:00 A.M.  Threw open the curtains and couldn't believe what I saw.  SNOW!!!  We had received nearly an inch of snow overnight, and it was still coming down in very fine flurries.  I think I laughed out loud!  I was so excited!  This DEFINITELY meant I wouldn't be flying today!  I was excited!

So I took the morning easy...I actually used the time to check out other hotels in the area.  And I found another one on the airport for $67.99/night.  I found this peculiar because the FBO was going to give me a rate of $75/night with them.  Huh.  Well, I went to book a room, and I had a discount!  Stay one night, and the second is half off!  Beautiful!  So I booked two a rate of $49.99/night.  I was instantly saving $25/day AND getting a free breakfast.  It was a no-brainer for me.

So in slick fashion, I had the hotel shuttle from DoubleTree take me to Ramada at the airport!  ha!

Well, I walked in and inquired about a weekly rate.  If I was going to stay a week, then it would be $35/night.  I couldn't believe my ears.  Sign me up, I said.  So just like that, I went from spending $75.16/night to $35/night.  That extra $40 is money in my pocket.  I was only mad that I didn't look into this sooner!  That is $80 I could have saved!!!  Oh well.

And the hotel is nice.  I'm literally about 1/4 mile from my airplane.  So I can just walk on over.  AND they serve lunch and supper, too!  I had a fabulous lunch buffet...very tasty...for only $7.95.  This is pretty much the perfect hotel.  Definitely a great find.

I spent the late morning working some more on my logbook.  I'm now up to 949.1 hours logged!  Woo hoo!  Only 375 more to go!  It's a painful process, but I'm gettin' there.  I also called a local freight company here at the airport and requested to see their facilities.  I was denied.  I was shocked.  How could I know if I would like to work for them if I can't check them out?  They just put a bitter taste in my mouth.  I did end up applying to another freight company, though.  We'll see what happens with that one.

I walked over to the FBO this afternoon to pick up a package, and I spent about 15-20 minutes just watchin' the ramp.  I went back to the hotel.  The snow was quickly melting but not fast enough to warrant taking pictures.  Plus the clouds were still too low.  So I didn't need to fly.  But I knew it would be some easy money...AND it would add to my twin time.  I wrestled with the thought for about a half hour, but then decided to just go.

So I went over and logged 0.6 hours.  It's not much, but every little bit adds up.

I went out tonight with a friend from back home.  She and her boyfriend took me downtown where we ate and talked.  It was GREAT to be with people again.  I definitely miss that.  I hope I get more of that soon.  They invited me over to their place for supper tomorrow, so I'm hopin' that works out.

Ended up going to bed very early at 10:30 P.M.

The weather is finally looking good for tomorrow.  We have a high-pressure system pushing through, and the clouds are forecast to be at 25,000.  I should be able to work...we'll see!  After a couple days off, I'm actually ready to get some work done, though.

I guess time will tell.  When I'm flyin' at 14,900 feet, that sure allows a pretty big space for clouds to hang out beneath me!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment