Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Day of Rest--April 6, 2010

Woke up at 8:00 A.M.  Opened up the curtains and had a beautiful though ominous sight:  dark grey clouds.  They were low and mean-lookin'!  I checked the weather, and they were just at 1000 feet.  And soon enough, they began spewing out sleet!!!  ha!  Yeah, it doesn't look like I'll be flyin' today!

No worries by me, though.  I am more than ready for a break.  25 hours in 5 days.  I am looking forward to a day off.

I ate breakfast in my room...a pastry I was given for free at Arby's back in Nebraska...glad I still had a couple left.  This hotel charges you for breakfast.  Schmucks.  It's a fancy hotel, AND they try to get away with charging for food?!  C'mon.  I have better amenities at cheaper hotels.  All for the sake of image.  It drives me nuts.

I honestly don't have a clue what I did this morning, but it didn't seem to amount to much!  I headed to Subway for lunch.

And I knew the afternoon could drag on...and I could be lazy.  But I wasn't going to have it.  So I grabbed my something that I have literally been evading for more than a year now:  my logbook.  Yup, my last entry goes all the way back to 2008.  OUCH.  But I was on a mission today.  I wanted to be productive.

And so I started logging all of my flights.  Frankly, it's a pain in the butt.  I keep an electronic log, but I DO want to have this paper one, as well.  There is just something neat about a paper log.  Well, kind of.  You see, my electronic log ended up showing me a TON of errors in my early entries.  So I spent at least half the time just trying to figure out which numbers were wrong for which days.  That part really stunk...because those numbers CARRY ON to every other page!!!  AGH!!!  But I made quite a bit of progress...I think five full pages of entries.  I'm now up to 750 hours in my paper logbook!  That's the good news!  The bad news is that I still have almost 600 more hours to go!  I'm committing myself to getting caught up, though.  I really need it.  I'm shootin' for another 200 hours tomorrow.

And that should be simple enough.  The weather is lookin' pretty poor.  It's supposed to snow in the early morning...and then we have low clouds after that.  Fun fun.  Oh, well...again, I'm eager to have some downtime and get caught up on some of this other stuff.

I think I spent six hours on my logbook today.  yikes!

I went to some restaurant about a mile away this evening.  I just needed to get out of the hotel.  But it turns out I am in Yuppie-ville.  And I hate it.  The hotel is literally crawling with men in suits ALL THE TIME.  I'm sure I provide comic relief in my white t-shirt, jeans, and large beard.  I certainly don't play the part.  Which is fine by me.

Well, I walk into this "grill," and I was nervous from the get-go.  And for good reason.  The place was just way over-priced.  I literally thought about walking out.  I just can't honor a restaurant that does this!  It is so dumb to me.  A hamburger was $10...and that was the cheapest item on the menu by far.  Most were in the $14-30 range.  Screw that.

Just give me something healthy for a change.  No burger.  No fries.  I settled for a chicken sandwich and asparagus.  It was a good thought...but both ended up being covered in fatty toppings.  Cheese, grease, butter.  So much for being healthy.  My body just really needs a break from eating out in America all the time.  So little to choose from.  I can see me getting bigger every month.  I hate it.

Spent the night inside.  Watched a war movie on TV and just relaxed.  I talked to Jennifer again today...for quite awhile.  Both this morning and this afternoon.  She has fallen for me hard...now I just have to figure out what I want to do.  <sigh>

It was also one of those days where I was pretty down on this industry.  I am more than ready to be done for the season.  I really am.  I want to work on a motorcycle, work on my house, and just have constant friends again.  It's hard to knock a job, especially an aviation job, but I'm just a bit down today.  I want to be an airline pilot!!!  I looked at a couple of websites and tried to conjure up some hope.  I am wanting to get some more hours, though, and study hard.  I just don't feel prepared at all for an interview.  Not that I can even get one.  But I want to be ready if the opportunity presents itself.

What an industry I have chosen.  It's not what I thought it would be.

I'm gettin' closer and closer every day to just having a simple job, buyin' a couple of houses to rent out, and just enjoying a simpler life.  I'm just afraid I wouldn't like that.  After all, that's what got me "out" in the first place...normalcy.

<sigh>  What to do, what to do.  I guess I have some more time to think about it!

Went to bed at 11:40 P.M.

No comments:

Post a Comment