Thursday, May 27, 2010

Hear the Bells Ring--May 22, 2010

Woke up at 8:06.  I hopped up, checked the time, and realized it was way too early for me to be up.  So I lazily hopped back in bed, where I laid until around 10:00.  The guys were all moving around, and they came up in the bed a couple of times, but I had no intentions of moving.  I finally hopped out around 10:00 and went downstairs and grabbed some coffee and a couple of doughnuts.  And this house was just AMAZING in the daylight!  It is so beautiful.  I was in love!

I went upstairs and took a BATH in the bathtub…this house has absolutely no showers at all.  They are all the old iron claw tubs!  It was like being 5 years old all over again…I enjoyed it.

We headed to the church around 10:45 to be there by 11:00.  And then we sat around!  It was ok…guys are just funny when in large groups.  I took the groom’s ring and put a block of cheese through it.  I was pretty excited about that.  And then right before the wedding, we groomsmen all wrapped our left middle fingers in napkins and tape…to make it look just like Ruble’s!  It was a hit during the ceremony.  Everyone was laughing.

All in all, a good day.  It was a typical wedding, and I was rather bored throughout it, but that wasn’t a surprise to me.  I just don’t do normal weddings very well.

The reception was a couple of towns over, and that was fairly enjoyable…for a bit.   The food was decent, but there wasn’t much rhyme or reason to the schedule.  And because of that, people started leaving…in mass droves.  By the time the couple had their first dance, we had lost nearly 40% of the people.  And it just kept getting worse.  They didn’t seem to be too bothered by it, though.  So I decided to leave, too.  But then several  of us decided we would meet in Champaign to hang out for a bit.

So I drove over to Champaign (stopping at a rest area to lose a few pounds first).  We arrived around 8:45 and stayed until 10:45.  It was fun…met a guy named Todd who I hit it off with.  It was one of those “best buds” at first sight thing.  We were just a’jokin’ with each other…and making fun of my dismal life on the road.  <sigh>  Oh, boy.  No, seriously, we did!  Got some good laughs out of it, though.

I made myself leave at 10:45, though.  I still had plenty of interstate to put behind me.  And I’m glad I left when I did.  Because I was STRUGGLING out there on the open road.  I mean, STRUGGLING.  I was anything but safe.  I had the air going to try to keep me awake, and I called a friend back in Denver.  But even then, I wondered if I would fall asleep while talking!  So I called someone else.  But the numbers and letters on the phone were just a big blur.

It was bad.  Real bad.  So I called one of the girls I had just met at the wedding…she had come out to hang with us in Champaign.  It was only 9 minutes long, but it got me a little further.  <sigh>  I was seriously unsafe out there.  I hated it.

I finally got back to Springfield, filled up the car, headed over to Mom and Dad’s house to pick up my truck, and then headed home.  I didn’t get in until 1:15.  I was in bed at a very late 1:40.  I was so unbelievably tired.  Alarm is set for 10:00.

No comments:

Post a Comment