Saturday, July 17, 2010

A Nap?! I Never Take Naps!!!--July 15, 2010

Woke up at 7:35 A.M.  Went out and grabbed some breakfast.  Talked with the couch-surfer for awhile.  He ended up leaving at 9:00 A.M., so I went outside and watered the new garden!  Came back inside, took a shower, then headed downtown to drop off my picture CD at the local newspaper.  I made a couple of phone calls and found out we were meeting at my sister's house to carpool up to Grandma and Grandpa's.  I stopped at Wal-Mart to see if they had any tomato plants, but they were out.  They were also out of tomato cages!  That was an "in and out" trip!

I headed over to Boogs' house and waited for Jobu to show up.  He showed up around 10:00, and I hurried us out the door, as we were going to have a quick trip today.  I had just learned that Jobu needed to be back at 1:15 for an appointment, so we would only get to be up at Grandma and Grandpa's house for an hour.  I wasn't too thrilled about that, but my hands were tied.  I was in a good deal of pain, too.  For whatever reason, my lower back was absolutely killing me.  I couldn't even sit in the same position for long periods.  It was anything but pleasant.

We arrived at the farm at 11:00, then had the much-loved time to visit and eat.  I simply cherish these moments.  There is no better way of saying it.  We stayed until just after noon, but then had to skedaddle.  It was a good visit, though, and we had Uncle Bob and Beth Ann there, too.  So that was enjoyable.

We came back home, and I drove home where I didn't do a whole lot.  It was sooooooooooo unbearably hot.  I checked the weather, and it was a whopping 107 degrees with the head index.  NO THANKS.  I seriously had NO desire to be outside today.  It was just too muggy.  I ended up laying on my bed and fell asleep out of boredom and lack of desire.  I just wasn't feeling all too great, either.  Just weak.  I slept from roughly 2:30 until 4:00 P.M.  But I was in a bit of a fog and couldn't really get out of it, either.  I was pretty lazy until 5:00.

I thought about headin' to Barnes and Noble for the evening but decided against it.  Instead, I ended up goin' for a run after the sun went low.  Frankly, after 7:00 o'clock, it was simply perfect weather again!  Very warm, yes, but a nice summer evening.  I took a shower, then debated on goin' to Barnes again.  I decided against it.  I made a phone call to Lowe's to check on tomato plants.  I just wanted to gobble up the remaining ones in Springfield!  I had originally planned on goin' to an actual plant shop before 5 o'clock, but my nap negated that.  So I headed to Lowe's.  Once there, though, the outdoor plant guy told me that they didn't have any tomato plants.  I wasn't too happy about that.  I went ahead and returned a fountain pump I had bought over a week ago, then just browsed the plants.

And lo and behold, in the very back, on the CLEARANCE rack were TONS of tomato plants!  I was all of a sudden giddy!  Seriously, I was so excited!  So I started goin' through all of the plants.  I probably stood back there for 15-20 minutes looking for the best ones.  They probably had around 30 plants, but most were struggling.  Frankly, they were all pretty bad in one way or another.  Most were missing several branches off of the main stem.  But I found some that I thought I could nurse back to health!  I think these were all going to die in another few days here at Lowe's.  They are definitely the runts of the season.  I tried to find some other vegetables, but it was just thin pickin's.

But the best part?  These plants were only 50 cents!!!  Three of the bigger ones (with actual tomatoes on them) were 65 cents, but I felt like splurging!  I ended up paying $6.97 for a dozen plants.  I'll take that any day!  I rushed home to plant was already getting dark.

I arrived home around 8:50 and headed out back to put 'em in the ground.  It was pretty dark by now.  I ended up getting the last plant in at 9:20.  I probably didn't need all of those plants, but I couldn't say no to such a great deal!  Plus I hate the fact of a plant going to waste!  These tomato plants were MADE to produce tomatoes!  So I'll gladly give them 50 cents to let them fulfill their life's calling!  Screw dying!

I came in and spent the rest of the night inside.  Went to bed at an early 11 o'clock but had the hardest time falling asleep.  Didn't end up actually getting to bed until midnight.  Ugh.  I did NOT set my alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment