Saturday, July 31, 2010

The Shed is Started!!!--July 30, 2010

Woke up at 7:30.  Kind of.  I felt like crap.  I had woken up from a terrifying dream where I (and someone else...sister???) were being chased down a hallway by a bobcat.  I kept saying, "Don't look back!!!  Don't look back!!!" much like the story in the Bible.  Well, we made it to the door where I swung it shut only to find out that the door was a half-door, and the bobcat jumped over the door and into the room with us.  I kid you not.  I woke up instantly (and terrified!), and I never could go back to sleep.  I think it was after 7 or so when I woke up, but still.  What a mess!

Ended up laying in bed until 7:55.  Grabbed some cereal, took a shower, then headed over to the garage sale at my sister's house.  They actually had a decent crowd coming and going.  I downed three cups of coffee in order to wake up.  Sadly, my sister aged quite a bit today.  Her roommate from college fell over dead last night.  She was mowing the yard and just fell over dead.  22 years old.  I knew her, and so it shook me a lil' bit.  She was one funny young woman.  Very vibrant.  I think she even cooked for me one time when I visited my sister at college.  We got the call around 9 o'clock or so.  Mom called me and asked if I was around my sister.  They wanted to make sure she had someone there.  And right about that time, the call came in.  Definitely a shocker.  Instantly sent me back to me burying my best friend at age 23.  Life is...somethin' else.  I thought about her death most of the day.

I stayed there until 11:30 when I came back home for lunch.  I headed back over after eating and basically made the decision to build a shed.  I have been looking at sheds for some time now.  They are just WAY too expensive to buy ($1500-ish for what I am looking for), and it's only logical to build one myself.  I can make it how I want it.  So I bit the proverbial bullet and headed to Menard's around 2 o'clock.  I had the plans in my head, and so I bought a decent list of supplies to get me up through the roof.  It was a PAIN in the butt trying to find the wood at their lumberyard, and it took me close to 45 minutes or an hour to get what I needed.  It was just so hard finding everything!  But I got everything I had purchased.

I ended up spending $410.80.  I am trying to stay below $500.  I would be thrilled if I could that!!!  That would be like saving $1000 over buying a new one!  But it's going to be close.  My truck was nearly dragging the ground with all of the wood, but I brought it back home and started making the floor.  I am going with an 8 x 12 foot structure.  It's so fun!  I loooooooove building stuff.  It took me just over 2 hours to make the floor.  But it's solid.  I actually had rain come through early on in the building, but I pushed through.  I brought the saw inside and kept on going.  It wasn't hard rain at all, but the wood was definitely wet!  Along with me!


I ended up finishing the floor around 6:00.  I headed back over to the garage sale for a bit but didn't stay long.  I came back around 7:00 to eat, then took a shower.  I ended up heading to a bar northwest of Springfield for a free drink!  One of the garage sale guests invited me out to her bar (she owns it) that night, and I agreed to go.  This was this morning!  So as to be a man of my word, I headed out there around 8:30.  But well, surprise surprise, she wasn't there.  So much for uphold integrity.  And I had to pass up on two other people just to be a man of my word!  Hmm.

I left fairly early and got back home at 10:05 where I stayed the rest of the night.  Ended up going to bed at 1:00 A.M.  I am hoping to get the walls and roof up tomorrow.  The frames anyway.  Not sure if I'll have time to side it or not!  But I'm excited.  Hope to be done in 2-3 days more.  And that will give me my Man Cave for real!!!

Ready for a long day of work.

No comments:

Post a Comment