Wednesday, July 7, 2010

"Always Somethin'..."--July 5, 2010

Woke up at 8:37 A.M.  Grabbed breakfast, took a shower.  I figured I would start the day by tackling my front brake pads on my truck.  So I headed to Casey and Erica's, picked up some jack stands, then headed to Auto Zone and picked up some pads.  $9.99!!!  I'll take it.  I then headed to Mom and Dad's house to work with the tools there...

Dad was working at my brother's house, so I started on it alone.  I arrived right at 10:00 A.M.  I was hopin' to be done by 11:30, grab a bite to eat, then head home and work on some projects at the house.  So I jacked up the left wheel and started at it.  Well, sort of.  You see, I couldn't even get the wheel off.  No joke.  I hammered on the tire and on the hub.  Nothing.  I sprayed WD-40 everywhere.  Nothing.  I checked the internet to see what to do.  I tried one suggestion.  I loosened all of the lug nuts and went for a drive!  True story.  I hit every pothole I could find, went over every bump I could see.  Nothin'.  I was gettin' frustrated!!!

I grabbed the left-overs from yesterday, ate lunch, then went with mom to pick up a wireless router for her and a lamp for me.  Both off of craigslist.  I paid $3 for mine.  Perfect.  I also had to buy a tool for my brakes...a 3/8" allen wrench.  Silly Chevrolet.  I came back and started at the truck again.  This time on the right side.  The tire came right off.  At least that confirmed that I was doing it right!  I got the caliper off, took the old pads out (pretty worn), and went to install the new ones.  But no matter how I tried, I just couldn't get the brake piston to go back in.  I tried big pliers, I tried a vise grip.  Nothing.  Dad had come home from his wiring job around 2:30-ish, so we decided to head in to this work to get C-clamps.  Always somethin'!  But after bringing them back home, I had the piston in in 30 seconds.  It's all about having the right tool.  The right side was fairly decent.  I mean, my truck is old.  It's a 1991.  It's rusty.  And this was in no way the easiest of brake pad replacements, but all things considered, it went fairly well.

But I still had a problem with the left side!  So I tried my method again.  I drove with the lug nuts loose.  I drove down to the ranch to return their fixed mower.  Nothing.  But I smelled some burning rubber, so I went ahead and tightened the nuts back.  We came back and beat the tire with a sledge hammer.  Nothing.  So I called a local mechanic.  He said to beat the tire like we were angry.  After his nod of approval, I went out there and just laid into it.  It took four hits, but it FINALLY came off.  Around 5:00 o'clock!!!  7 hours after starting.  But having done the other side AND having the right tools, this was a breeze.  It literally took me 30 minutes to get everything apart and back together.  I took it for a test-drive, and it no longer had the squeak.

JOB COMPLETE!!!  All for $14, brakes AND new tool.  Not bad!

We ate supper that Mom had prepared for us, then headed home.  I cleaned the area around my air-conditioner with a hand pruner and weed whacker, then showered.  I also met my roommate from a couple of months ago for the first time.  Dug came over just to meet me, so that was nice.  I'll be roomin' with him in just a little over a month when he comes back for school.

I then headed over to Casey and Erica's around 7:15 to watch "Invictus" with them.  It was an OK movie but kind of a let-down.  I was a bit more excited for it than what I was given.  While there, I also found out that my plumbing job from over a month ago has gone kapoot.  Basically, it's been leaking for a couple of days.  We found some disgusting soggy Chips Ahoy in the cabinet under the sink.  A pipe that I had threaded had literally come all the way separated.  So that is going to need some more work.

Always somethin'...

Came home around 10:45 but stayed up pretty late.  Didn't get to bed until 1:40 A.M.  Didn't even bother to set my alarm.  I'll let my body wake up on its own...


In bed at a very late 1:40.  No alarm.

No comments:

Post a Comment